Real Talk: The Day to Day


First, I just want to thank every one who took the reader survey last week! I’m going to keep in up through this week, so if you haven’t taken it yet, I suggest you get your votes in now! It will be going down next Monday.

I wanted to do a Real Talk post just catching up on how things have been since the arrival of Lazy Baby. It has been a HUGE adjustment, but I knew it was going to be one. I’ve been really trying to find a good balance between work/motherhood/life/blogging/sleeping and tbh blogging fell pretty low on that list when all was said and done. However, I’m starting to get a bit more settled and into some kind of routines, which is a term I am using very loosely, so I feel like I can start wading back into the blogging pool.

I’m definitely going to be upping the affiliate game on the blog because having a baby is expensive. Pre-baby, I was getting burned out on affiliate posts and thought about working them off the site; post-baby and I’m trying save every penny and hustle every dime. Besides, affiliate links don’t cost you, dear reader, anything. My content is still free and if you happen to buy something using an affiliate link then I get a few pennies. (Comment below if you would like a more in-depth post about affiliate programs and how they work).

My days went from lazy to feeling like I can’t do enough after LB (Lazy Baby). As where before, I’d do the dishes in rotation with Mr. LL and same with the laundry, I’ve more or less started to do those during the week and Mr. LL gets them (for the most part) on the weekend. Here’s a look at my typical day during the week:

  • 6:30 am - LB wakes up (if she hasn’t already :/ ); I get up and heat up her bottle, then change her diaper and pass her off to Mr. LL (who has hopefully gotten up by this point–otherwise I badger him till he’s up and able to take the baby).
  • 6:45 am - Get the coffee pot going while I make lunches for Mr. LL and myself.
  • 7:15 am - Do the dishes from the night before.
  • 7:30 am - Take a moment to enjoy some coffee/help Mr. LL find everything as he runs out the door to go to work.
  • 7:45 am - Make all the bottles for the day (LB is only drinking formula these days).
  • 7:50 am - My mom shows up to watch LB. Talk to her for a bit and help her get LB set-up in the highchair for breakfast.
  • 8 am - Get ready for work. 
  • 8:30 am - Out the door and off to work.
  • 9 am - 5:30pm - Work. Sometimes I have to stay later or I get leave a little early, it just depends on the day and the workload.
  • 6 pm - Get home and immediately go change clothes. Then I’ll take LB from Mr. LL (who got home around 4:30/5pm) and play with her until it’s her dinner time.
  • 6:30 pm - Either Mr. LL or I will feed her whatever purée she’s currently enjoying, then trade off and the other will feed her a bottle.
  • 7 pm - Say “night night” to daddy, and I take LB into our bedroom–which we are still sharing with LB–and change her into her pajamas. Then we sit on the bed and read a book together and we cuddle till she starts to fall/falls asleep. I put her in her crib and pray that she stays asleep for the night.
  • 7:30 pm - During the time I’ve spent playing with LB and putting her to bed, usually Mr. LL has made dinner, so we eat now. We’ll have the monitor on and spend the next few hours hanging out, talking, watching a show or two and unwinding.
  • 10:30-11:30 pm - Momma goes to bed. Mr. LL will sometimes stay up playing a video game, but I’m usually out. Oh and before bed, Mr. LL will wash any dirty bottles still hanging around and make a bottle so it is ready in the fridge for me to grab in the morning. 
  • During the night - Some nights LB sleeps through, but lately she’s started getting up again, two or three times. Sometimes I can just pat her on the back and she falls asleep, other times, I have to put her in the bed and she EVENTUALLY falls back asleep for awhile. The latter is usually when she gets up somewhere between 4:30-5 in the morning and I am NOT about to get up and start the day then. So I let her snuggle up with us for another hour or so.

So yeah, as you can see I’m not left with a ton of free time to blog. The weekends are spent cleaning the house, grocery shopping, recharging and, more recently, taking LB on outings. This past weekend we took her to a nearby park/bird sanctuary. She really lit up seeing all those birds. It was going to rain soon, we only had about an hour and she stayed in the stroller the whole time. Hopefully we can plan better and maybe have a picnic or something out there on a sunny day.

That’s about it for me right now. I’m going to be trying to post more regularly, but it may be a minute before I find my groove again, so please be patient. Also, I’ll be doing some design tweaks here and there, but nothing too intrusive.